Call for Proposals: FOSS Events in ASEAN+3
A call for interested parties to submit applications for funding support for conferences organized that fall within the framework of FOSS in the sub-region
CALL FOR PROPOSALS: FOSS Events in ASEAN+3 Sub-region
Deadline February 28th, 2007
Contact: asean3 AT iosn DOT net or info AT telehealth DOT ph
The International Open Source Network ASEAN+3 sub-regional node is soliciting applications for FOSS-related events in the Southeast Asian region.
In order to promote FOSS development in ASEAN+3, there is a need to network FOSS stakeholders within the ASEAN+3 region. While there are many entities working with and on FOSS solutions, many others in the region are still unfamiliar with FOSS. The IOSN encourages conferences aimed at accelerating FOSS adoption by networking various players in ICT in the sub-region, both FOSS and non-FOSS.
To this end, IOSN ASEAN+3 is soliciting proposals from organizations in the sub-region to design and implement FOSS events that will provide orientation and technical trainings on FOSS architecture and community management skills, targeting national and regional FOSS developers as well as ICT players not yet working with FOSS. The goal is to increase the developer base for FOSS.
The proposed events shall:
- Be an opportunity to network experienced FOSS developers with potential FOSS developers;
- Be an opportunity share experiences, best practices, and create opportunities for collaboration;
- Establish IOSN ASEAN+3 as focal point for further networking activities;
- Enhance the technical skills of developers through power training
This call is consistent with IOSN's objective to organize events in partnership with relevant partner institutions and organizations.
The following are some of the potential events that could be considered by the ASEAN+3 sub-regional node:
1. Public addresses by famous FOSS personalities such as Richard Stallman, Bruce Perens, Linus Torvalds, etc.
2. Debates on issues such as total cost of ownership, software patents, copyright law, digital rights management, anti-circumvention
3. Public awareness campaigns such as Software Freedom Day or Free/Open Source Software Awareness Campaign [FOSSAC]
4. Policy workshops for government personnel and civil servants.
5. Conferences on open standards, open source software, and/or open content.
Applications are encouraged from duly registered institutions based in the ASEAN+3 countries with a track record in the advocacy for free/open source software and with a strong organizational structure.
Interested parties are requested to send an email to asean3 AT iosn DOT net with the following information:
Name of proponent:
Organization's country base (where it is officially registered):
Title of FOSS event:
Tentative venue (country):
Target number of participants (local):
Target number of participants (non-local, ASEAN+3)
Description of organization:
Description of event:
Funds requested (no need for detailed budget):
Telephone number (landline):
Deadline for submission on February 28th, 2007.