Advantages of Open Source Learning Management Software
A learning management software system also known as LMS is an application that is used for companies who are in need of elearning solutions. The software is able to function as a tool for the documentation, tracking, reporting, and over all administration of any corporate training course. Some of these computer applications are developed by companies all in-house for commercial profit. Then they sell each developed or modified software with its own license in order to limit other people's access to the application's source code. However there are also those that are open source. These open source LMS are free systems that are used by a lot of companies to successful results.
A lot of schools for instance have been racing to set up their courses and materials online in order to attract investors who would be interested. It is also a means to bringing together the global community onto this one banner of elearning which not only makes it easier for companies to provide the necessary corporate training but also makes it easier for schools to reach out to remote geographical locations and to students who cannot afford the traditional classroom education. There are a lot of challenges of course that stand in the way of elearning's further spread and development. However, there are a lot more positive signs telling us that elearning is truly on the rise and that there is this progress will not stop. One good sign is the development of open source learning management software. This kind of LMS has helped create great solutions to the technical difficulties that companies and educational institutions encounter in the delivery of electronic learning.
Open source means that the source codes of the LMS programs are free to be accessed by anyone. The developers as well as the users can access the essential functionalities of the software and can add modifications or create major changes to the code. Then, they can disseminate this newly improved code thus creating a faster evolution through this collaborative cycle.
So just what are the other advantages of this kind of software system for electronic learning that sets it apart from the usual closed kind of training management system?
* The source code of the whole open source software is so easy to modify. If for example the source code is not visible, then the software shows a website where users can easily get the code.
* The distribution of the code is not restricted. There are no royalties to be paid for the distribution or even the selling of the product.
* The license of the product itself allows for the distribution patch file. The new version though will have to have a different name.
* It is unnecessary to reapply for a new license. Whatever privileges that the original program has will also be applicable to everyone who will receive the redistributed program thus removing much hassle.
* The rights that come along with the license are not exclusive to any one product.
These are just some of the advantages that come with open source learning management software systems. Truly with such advantages, this system will truly increase the evolution of LMS.