Links to FN's interests in FLOSS (Free/Libre and Open Source Software).
FN (Frederick Noronha) is a freelance journalist based in Goa, India. He writes on issues related to FLOSS, and is closely linked to the FLOSS network in South Asia.
|Frederick Noronha's personal web swiki. Links to India, development journalism, Goa, FLOSS (free software), photography from Goa, alt voices on the Internet, mailing lists in cyberspace, communication alternatives etc|
|MISSION: To explore the potential of the New Media. To try out new challenges on this front, support alternative media initiatives and the extend space available for diverse points of view in the media.|
ILUG-Goa mailing list. India Linux Users Group (Goa)
ILUG-Goa's Swiki site.
ILUG-Margao, Goa site
LIBERATION TECHNOLOGY in the lands of diversity: Free software in Asia (a study)
|Am a freelance (fulltime and professional) journalist and live in Goa, on the west coast of India.||Email: fred at bytesforall dot org Phone: 0091.832.2409490 Cell: 09822 122436. SOHO: 784, Near Lourdes Convent, Sonarbhat, Saligao 403511 Bardez Goa, India.|
Publications I write for:
- Indo-Asian News Service
- Express Computer (IndiaComputes! column)
- Linux For You Monthly column
- The Telegraph, Calcutta/Kolkata, Goa correspondent
- Environment News Service Correspondent from India
- Radio World International Correspondent from India
- Third World Network Features
- SAR News
- Linux Journal
- Dawn (Karachi) Science weekly supplement
- Spider, Internet monthly
Publications in which my by-line has appeared:
- Economic Times
- Indian Express
- India Abroad
- Deccan Herald
- Financial Express
- Business Standard
- The Week
- Outlook Traveller
- The Asian Age
- The Hindu BusinessLine
- The Book Review
- Malayala Manorama
- Down To Earth, New Delhi
- The Statesman (India)
- Times Computing
- Living Computer
- Associated Press-Photographs
- Inter-Press Service
- Sahara Time
- Economic & Political Weekly
- Stephen's Web
- Goa Today
- Gomantak Times
- The Navhind Times
- Advanced Diploma in Journalism, IIJ-West Berlin (FRG) 1990
- Training, environmental journalism, at Fojo in Kalmar, Sweden 1998
- M.A.English Literature, University of Bombay 1987
- Bachelor in Commerce, University of Bombay 1984
- Full-time professional journalist, since 1983
Tracks in cyberspace
- Miscellaneous postings and references on the Internet 14,300+
- Miscellaneous postings to Usenet newsgroups, 2300+
Net-initiatives (building community)
- Goanet (Member, Admin Team)
- Usenet newsgroup Soc.culture.indian.goa (Founder)
- Saligaonet mailing list
- GoaLinks on LiveJournal.com
- GoaCom News
- BytesForAll (Co-founder, with Partha Sarkar, Bangladesh) Says the International Herald Tribune: "Bytes for All a voluntary online initiative based in South Asia, is an example of how this challenge can be met. It focuses on Internet ventures that promote people above profits." -BytesForAllList (Readers)
- India GNU/Linux Users Group-Goa, Founder-member. Currently 350+ strong.
- GNU/Linux in India
- ILUG-Goa links site Check this page for useful links and information.
- ILUG-Goa mailing list
Mailing lists: Goa village networks
- Docuwallahs2, focussing on the diversity and wealth of Indian documentary films and networking film-makers
- Fred's Foto Folio (copyright-free pics on Goa-world.Com)
- On Sulekha.com
- Goa Association of Photography, network for photo enthusiasts
- Goa wallpapers, scenic copyright-free pics from a charming region
- On Yahoo
Mailing lists actively involved in
- Nettime-L list for networked cultures
- South Asia IT -- making IT relevant
- Cybercom, cyber community of India list
- CSI-Goa Computer Society of India (Goa chapter)
- Report on Free/Libre and Open Source Software in the Developing World Commissioned by the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs; Asia chapter. 2002-03.
- Co-Founder with Partha P. Sarkar of Dhaka-Bangladesh, of BytesForAll, a widely appreciated site and e-zine studying the use of IT and the Internet for development. 1999 till date.
- Sarai Print Media Fellowship, 2001 (studying the contribution of South Asia to GNU/Linux)
- Report on GNU/Linux for education, for Unesco, Paris 2002.
- Panos Fellow, 2001 (reproductive health issues)
- Co-founder, with Dr Teotonio R De Souza, of Goa-Research-Net
- Founder, Indialists alt-mailing lists.
- Founder, India-EJ, mailing-list for environmental journalists. 1999 till date.
- Founder, ThirdWorld-EJ for thirdworld journalists. 1999 till date.
- Founder, GoaNews mailing list. (Name since changed to Goanet-news)
- Founder, education-india mailing list on dgroups.org
- Founder, literacy-india mailing list on dgroups.org
|I created this site using a swiki. I find it incredibly useful. Please visit http://www.swiki.net to get a swiki for yourself. It's not just easy to edit and create a webpage, but also offers you a good deal to have your own place in cyberspace.|